My 93-year old mother died on July 31st. We contacted Chase because all of her accounts were there and informed them of her passing and asked for information on arranging for the orderly distribution of the accounts, i.e.

people we needed to work with as administrators of the estate.

Chase immediately cut off her credit card account, which I understood since she was the account holder, while I am my sister were authorized users. The account had automatic payment attached to the checking account which was a joint account with my mother, sister, and myself all on the account. Chase did not withdraw the money for payment on the due date but instead wrote off the account as a bad debt. They did not contact either my sister nor me.

They did, however, file a delinquent account notice on both my sister and my own credit reports which is how I discovered the problem. I called the Estate Services and spoke to a very rude woman who informed me the account balance had been written off as a bad debt and the bank was preparing to sue my mother's estate. I have been an attorney for over 35 years and I have never encountered such a lack of professional attitude from anyone.

I informed the woman that both I and my sister were administrators of the estate and were more than happy to pay the account balance upon receiving a final billing. No such billing has ever been received.

I have made serval more calls and spoken with other people who while being far more polite than this first individual are not at all helpful.

The fact is that at the time of my mother's death there was roughly 64,000.00 in the checking account, money we had transferred there to pay for ongoing nursing services she had been receiving. The bank had an ongoing authorization to withdraw money from that account to pay the credit card. They had contact information for my sister and me, both on the credit card account as well as the checking and savings account.

They also had been working with us via the Chase personal banker who had been our bank contact for roughly 7 years managing my mother's investment accounts held with the bank and who we were working with after her death to set up the transfer of those accounts to my sister and me according to the beneficiary agreement.

As I said, I have been an attorney for over 35 years. I have never heard of a situation in which a bank behaving so unprofessionally regarding an account, refusing to accept payment for the balance due when it was offered [now a total of three times], and insisting they have to sue the estate.

Product or Service Mentioned: Chase Bank Freedom Credit Card.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments