1.1K views
2.0
Additional Fees
Interest Rate

Let me reiterate that Chase has horrible customer service in this area.When I called two days after my father's death to close his credit card--long before I had court papers appointing me as personal representative--they were happy to do so.

They also, without telling me, closed his checking account that had nearly $100,000 in it. When social security and his pension company attempted to recall direct deposits, the bank would not let them, and then tried to charge me a fee because of attempted drafts on a closed account. That was phone call #1, during which she told me she could not speak to me, only to the account holder who I told her several times was dead. She said to go to a branch, and I explained that there are none within 200 miles.

I finally hung up since she was unable and unwilling to help in any fashion. When I got the letters from the court, I called again--call #2. I was told to go into a branch. The closest one is 200 miles away.

I finally got an address to send all of the legal documents to them, which I did via overnight mail on the 17th. Their stated policy is 10 day turnaround. Call #3 was on day 11. They again said they could not talk to me again because I was not on the account.

I informed them that I sent them the court papers showing me as personal representative. I was told to go to a branch. I again said none within 200 miles and asked for a transfer to someone who could help me right now. That person was also unable to help me but finally gave me number for the Decedent Processing Group---but since they are in Texas, they were not open.

Call #4 to Texas: they finally found the account, and said it had just been started on the 26th. I told them wrong, it was sent via overnight mail and received on the 18th. She then gave me some line about the mailroom and scanning, to which I told her that their stated policy is 10 days and said nothing of that delay. She said it would be another 7-10 days to verify the documents and see if the account could be closed.

I asked if this could be done in a branch, and she said no---so why was I told twice to go to a branch?

This is one of many reasons I hate Chase and will never -- ever --have any relationship with them again.My advice: get a second name on every Chase account, and when the person dies, do not call them for any reason, write a check to take the account to $10 and then let the bank take as long as they want.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. This person stated that there is a room for improvement of customer service and practices. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss poor customer service of chase bank account and associated monetary loss in the amount of $94000. Chase Bank needs to have the product delivered according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned chase bank account in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Chase Bank.

Had an Experience with Chase Bank?

Comments

Get in touch with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

h.kitchener
Columbia, South Carolina, United States #1339143

As you now realize, you made a big mistake in precipitously calling Chase to cancel the card.The best thing is to have all bank accounts joint if the parent will agree, then when they die you can simply go into the bank and withdraw the money as you are a joint owner.

Be aware that funeral homes are required to advise Social Security of the death and they will do this very soon. Thus, get to the bank ASAP. Writing a check to reduce the account to $10 doesn't necessarily work and it takes time for the check to clear and in the meantime the bank may become aware of the death and freeze the account making your check bounce, etc. All in all, circumspection is the rule as is fast and immediate action to protect yourself and the assets.

Good luck.

By the way, do not pay anything to Social Security as far as fees, etc.They have a tolerance amount and will just let the thing die.

what about if we all join and contact the media????

OMG I thought I was the only one crying my eyes out about CHASE bank in Lancaster CA.My mom died in June and I got the same run around as all of you.

The branch mgr. was happy to get death certs of my mom and dad but could not say more. On the telephone I was asked over the course of 7 months to send death certificates 5 times. Go to a branch and withdraw funds, not one in TN at all.

No one could get me information. I was crying and screaming the last phone call to the "customer service rep." (my ***) about how I'm grieving for my mom and its hard enough to take care of her estate. Asking why Chase Bank was the only one withholding funds and IMPORTANT INFORMATION to me. Just 2 weeks ago the rep said to ask for a Date of Death Balance Letter????

What is that I said and how come NO ONE has told me to get one before. She could say no more. Does this sound like a spy novel gone wrong? Ok so I request it get it in the mail and along with the thank you for contacting us and beneficiary and account balances it says...except for retirement funds, which I will receive in a separate letter.

That was March 24, its now April 14,2017 and viola NO letter about said info. Why should I be surprised, I can feel the stomach churning and overwhelming anger for CHASE BANK. I accidentally stumbled on this site here and just had to vent my anger and say Chase is the worse bank ever in deceased customer service EVER !!!!!

My heat goes out to anyone...

I wish this unpleasant situation on anyone.Renee G.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada #1290893

Have the same issue as you friend.I never informed Chase that my father passed.

When we went to open a savings account for a death in the family the branch banker went on google and started looking for information. She quietly froze his account to "protect the security of our customers". When asked how to get access she informed us that they don't provide steps in a document and that she would only verbally mention it. Well weeks went by and we finally got administrator documents notarized and ready to go.

I've been to the branch 5 times already, they apparently never put the documents on the account. Each time they have to reverify the documents and make sure I am who I am. Then they call branch support which acknowledges the documents and notates the account. Then I'm told I can call telephone banking.

Well thats a lie. The notations never make it to the account and the documents are then lost. To make matters worse for us, they notated the account that my dead father called in asking for his account to be suspended. This was 2 weeks after his death and they won't even tell me who did that.

I told Chase I would bring my attorney with me next time and they got offensive stating they needed to let their executive council know so they can be prepared to serve papers to me or sue me or whatever they do to ensure customers don't get whats needed.It infuriates me that Chase is allowed to treat people like this all while referencing internal...

to JT #1342501

"they won't even tell me who did that."

Sorry for your loss.I know it's a hard time.

I'm dealing with this right now.

That said, for those who read this, one thing you have to understand is to keep your head about you.

Second is they can't just give you your folks money because you called and said they passed.

It is for the protection of the the customers.

Remember every rule and reg these banks have are for a reason.

The reason is people try to get over on others all the time including their folks.

Get a deep breath, put this aside if you can and then go back at it the right way.The right way maybe probate.