• show-popup

Company Chase Bank
Location Phoenix, Arizona
Category Banks
Views 2417

Here's my story. I was pulled over for a speeding ticket last week (yes I admit it was my fault) I haven't had a traffic ticket since 2005 but since revenue's are down I knew there was no chance for the officer to issue me and warning. Being August of 2010 now, I'm eligible to attend a defensive driving school class to have it erased off my record since I have not had a ticket in the past 2 years. When I called to schedule an appointment the guy told me they only accept checks or money orders, no cash. I don't have any checks since these days I pay everything online, and I mean EVERYTHING, so it was no prob to go get a money order.

I walk inside the branch at Chase and say to one of the tellers "I have a checking account with you guys, can I get a money order or do you guys issue money orders?" She replied telling me they're $5, she could tell how absurd I was thinking that was from the look on my face and said "If you go right across the street to CVS Pharmacy you can get one for $1. She was actually very nice and I thought that was really cool of her. (So weird, the tellers when you actually walk in have always seemed so much nicer and way less rude then the ones in the drive through.) So I go over to CVS and get my money order for $202 for just a buck.

Now today. Change of events. My wife's birthday is coming up in October, she's from Portland, we currently live in Tempe, Arizona. I don't make much money at the moment and I know she's been missing her family so as an early birthday present (because her mom and sister start work back again October 1st) I found a GREAT deal on a round trip ticket to fly her out mid September and will have just enough to purchase it if I were cash my money order I was saving to do the driving school this coming Saturday. I have until mid Sept to get driving school done, so there's no problem rescheduling the class for the following weekend since I get paid again then as well. I go to chase to cash the money order so I can deposit the money back into my account so I can buy this airline ticket for my wife right away. Right away, this female drive up teller was EXTREMELY rude. "You HAVE to HAVE a BANKING account with us, DO YOU have a BANKING account sir?" I said yes, i've had one with you guys for almost 10 years. "Well YOU NEED TO WRITE YOUR BANKING ACCOUNT NUMBER ON THE MONEY ORDER SIR!!!" I said, oh i'm sorry I was unaware, no problem. I sent the $202 money order back with the account number while thinking, geeze what's her deal. There's more pleasant ways to go about to ask a customer to put his/her account number on their money order their cashing if they didn't know to do so. I never cash these things so I have no idea lol. Anyways, after 10 minuets she gets back with me in her rude snippy bitchy voice saying we cannot cash this because your account has insufficient funds. I said that can't be correct, and if it is, i'm unaware of my account having insufficient funds??? She then said, well if we were to cash this right now, we can only give you $15-$50 of the $202. I was like, why would I do that? I said no, please return my money order back to me. She said FINE!

So I head back over to CVS next door and find out they don't cash money orders, just issue them. Which is cool. I next check my account online via my phone and find out it is not in a negative balance as they claimed, I have plunty of money in my account so I was like what the ***??? So I go back to chase, this time I go inside. I explained to the teller what happened, he was very pleasant and nice, and said oh what they ment by your account has insufficient funds is that you don't have $202 in your account. I was like huh?? He said, however much the money order is for, that's how much you have to have in your account in order for us to cash it. At this point I was about ready to explode, but I kept my cool. So I said, say I sold an item on Ebay for $2000 and the buyer sends me a money order for payment, you're telling me I have to have $2000 in my account in order to cash a $2000 money order?? He, said yes that's how it works. I kinda laughed and said ok, thank you, and left.

So I thought i'd drive to the other chase and see what happens, when I arrive I'm lucky to get there right before they close. I go inside and tell the guy I'd like to deposit this money order into my account, my account number is already on the money order and I hand him my license. He said ok no questions asked, typed it all in, handed me my receipt and said "have a good day". Now why wasn't it like this at the other branch????
2d76ead

Comments (15) Hide comments
Comment review as anonymous or
CAPTCHA

Nov 07, 2013
You are absolutely funny! Oddly enough, I had to withdraw a Money Order to pay my Utilities. I am sure it will be shocking, but my Money Order is FREE! - Weird.

- Chase Bank -
Never had a bad experience.
Never received 2 different answers.
Personal Banker is extremely friendly and nice.
Received checks and debit card quickly.

For some odd reason, I can't find anything you have said that I agree with. In comparison to many other banks I've banked with, Chase has been wonderful. But, Chase does seem to design its services to people who actually have money in their bank account.
Reply to Happy Customer

Jun 13, 2013
You actually said it yourself. There is a difference between cash a money order and deposit a money order.
Reply to Some1

Jun 04, 2013  from Beaverton, Oregon
Yes 5 bucks for a money order is ridiculous! To bad the teller wasnt good enough to explain it all to him to avoid all the hastle & thier time but i am not really a big fan!! Thier great when ur setting up ur account but after that, they could careless about u! Its very fustrating & i'm not the kinda person who gets angry fast. Lets just say that when they dont want to talk to u they all go to lunch & tell receptionist to say thier on vacation! Only when u go back to the bank their forced to do thier job, even if its just giving u a simple look up! This is ppls money & they take it very seriously when they cant get it!
Reply to chase customer

Nov 27, 2012
5.00 For a money order for a customer that has been with them for 10 years. 2 checking accounts and 2 savings accounts and still paying 5 times what a drugstore charges.. or a 7-11.

Great value added service you have there for your customers.!
Reply to Chase Hater

Jun 13, 2013  from Los Angeles, California
Only difference is Chase will actually help you track the money order and tell you who cashed it at what branch. More insurance provided for the $5
Reply to Victoria

May 16, 2012
I tried to cash a money order but I guess they said I have to have the funds in order to cash it so the lady said if you deposit it then the money order you deposit will be available to me in one day so I say no problem and give it to her and I leave this was yesterday around 10:30 maybe 11:00 am I just checked my balance and it said 100 bucks in there the money order was 400 what the freak happened?
Reply to John

Apr 12, 2012
The bank employees SHOULD know the bank rules, and the bank language because they get paid, and supposedly trained, by the bank. Why does ANYONE expect the customer to know the bank's language. If "cash it" and "deposit it" means 2 different things to the bank, then the bank employees need to make the translation. The bank employees could have offered to the customer to deposit the money order rather than cashing it. The bank employees could have asked the bank user, the customer, what was his final goal, what did he want to do with the money in the end, why did he want to "cash it" so that they could help him by translating their own bank language. You supposed bank employees, who want to blame the victim, you are disgusting. You think the customer should do your job. Your bank language is your job - you do it for the customer. That is what you are paid to do. Why does anyone hire you and why do they bother to teach you all that knowledge about the difference between "cash it" and "deposit it" if you cannot use that knowledge to do your job which is to service the customer with their banking transaction. You think that when you go to work you leave your brain at home to write comments to the victims you blame??
Reply to CustomerServicePerson

Aug 29, 2013  from Royal Oak, Michigan
Very well put CustomerServicePerson... VERY well...
Reply to MedicalOfficeSpecialist

Mar 17, 2011
yes- the first time you wanted to cash it. thats why there was a problem. if you deposit it as you say you did- there will be a hold on the funds. i bank at chase and never have a problem. i think you just didnt understand
Reply to TAWNEY

Feb 12, 2011
I understand the frustration, but after being a teller for a few years, you need to understand a few things. Please note, I'm not defending anyone in any way. Rudeness is never acceptable.

First, cashing and depositing are very different transactions.

To cash something against your account, regardless if it's a certified check, personal check, money order, etc. the policy states you must have that same amount in your account to cover the transaction. The tellers have to follow this rule--and trust me--we get yelled a lot for it. Keep in mind that's not our policy, we're trying to do a job. I don't think customers would appreciate being overdrawn.

Second, depositing provides an opportunity for the bank's operations team to clear that money order or check. The cool thing about money orders is that they're like cash already. However, they still get processed like a check. When depositing, you have to wait for them to clear, and if indeed it is an authentic and verified money order, then the money is yours.

I'm sorry you had a terrible time getting through to the tellers. Just remember--they take a lot of ***, too. Also, don't just show up at a drive up without filling out deposit slips, not endorsing and expecting tellers to do it all for you. If you really want to *** off a teller, that's a way to do it.

Be nice, and you'd be amazed how much more willing we are to help you.
Reply to Ex-teller

Oct 08, 2010  from Tracadie-Sheila, New Brunswick
@peggy little..no the bank is not responsible. they didnt steal the money order, you should have stopped payment on it when ur daughter didnt recieve it
Reply to .....

Sep 05, 2010
The difference is...you asked to cash it, with all of the fake money order scams thats a smart thing to do because when or if your money order turned out to be fake who exactly would they collect the $202 from? You thats who and you didn't have enough....The second time you asked to deposit the funds that gives time to clear the money into your acct...And who exactly would be nice to you when you say things like "bitchy, snippy voice" Maybe it was YOUR attitude!!
Reply to DUH

Aug 30, 2010
I purchased a money order from Chase Bank, and mailed it to my daughter's address. It never made it there. It was stolen and signed on the back by 2 people, but signatures are not legible. The Bank says they cannot give my money back because it was cashed. The thieves had used acid, according to a detective I talked to erase the information I had written on the front of the money order. Is Chase responsible?
Reply to Peggy Little

Aug 30, 2010
Reply to Peggy Little

Aug 19, 2010
You could have deposited it no matter how much money was in your account. However, you can't cash it if your account balance can't cover it if it bounces.

This doesn't excuse the attitude of the tellers. I never have liked Chase and I wonder why they hire people with such bad attitudes. You might consider switching to a bank with faster service and nicer tellers. I find some smaller banks have the intelligence to hire nice people.
Reply to Cash vs. Deposit

Read next Chase Bank complaint

Text Message - Account Activity - I am receiving...

I have been receiving text messages on my cell phone. They advise me to "call JPMorgan Chase Bank re...

Select Reason

Send Report Cancel

Thank you!

We will review your report
You were reading a complaint about Chase Bank.
Filing a new complaint about
Report a bug